Sun Life Investment Management was created in 2014 and demonstrates the commitment of Sun Life Financial (Sun Life) to growing and diversifying its asset management business.
Sun Life Investment Management leverages Sun Life’s long-standing expertise in liability driven investing (LDI) and private asset class investments to offer customized investment solutions to third-party institutional investors.
The Sun Life Investment Management group of institutional investment management companies
Sun Life Institutional Investments (Canada) Inc. was established in Canada in 2013 as a portfolio manager, investment fund manager and exempt market dealer, launching its first suite of private asset class funds in 2014.
In 2015, Sun Life enhanced Sun Life Investment Management’s capabilities in LDI and alternative yield strategies with the acquisitions of Bentall Kennedy Group in North America, and Prime Advisors, Inc. and Ryan Labs Asset Management Inc. in the United States.
These operations have combined third-party assets under management of $56 billion, as of September 30, 2017. Sun Life Investment Management is supported by the investment division of Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada that manages $141.5 billion in assets under management for the Sun Life Financial group of companies as of September 30, 2017.*
*The information on this website is in Canadian dollars unless otherwise noted.
Our goal and mission
The goal of the Sun Life Investment Management group of companies is to provide institutional investors with a suite of capabilities that meet their investment objectives by focusing on our core investment strength in alternative and traditional yield strategies and LDI.
Our mission is to design and deliver investment solutions for liability-based institutional investors based on our long-standing experience in liability-driven investing and alternative, yield-driven asset classes.
Our beliefs and values
At Sun Life Investment Management, we are driven by four core beliefs:.
Diversification reduces risk. Broad diversification within a portfolio is critical to managing downside risk.
A repeatable investment process leads to consistent results. Ongoing investment success results from diligent, repeatable investment processes executed by an experienced and stable team of investment professionals operating in a culture of collaboration and respect.
Effective risk management is central to investing. Risk management must be built into the entire investment process, from investment selection to portfolio construction and ongoing management.
A foundational set of values guides all of our activities:
means we are committed to the highest standards of business ethics and good governance.
represents our diverse, talented workforce where we encourage, support and reward people in contributing to the full extent of their potential.
is at the heart of what we do. We provide sound financial solutions for our clients and always work with their interests in mind.
is what we pursue through our dedicated people, our quality products and services, and our value-based risk management.
is what we deliver value to our clients and shareholders we serve and to the communities in which we operate.
is how we listen to our clients to provide them with a better experience through innovative products and exceptional service.
Inside Sun Life Investment management
- Dec 1, 2017 - Sun Life Investment Management Welcomes Sam Tillinghast as President, U.S. Private Credit
- Oct 31, 2017 - Sun Life Investment Management Strengthens Canadian Institutional Business with Distribution Team Appointments
- Oct 25, 2016 - Sun Life Institutional Investments (Canada) Inc. Launches a New Fund Offering Focused on Short Term Private Fixed Income for Institutional Investors Seeking Alternative Yield
- Oct 6, 2016 - Sun Life Financial to host Investor Day profiling Sun Life Investment Management
- July 26, 2016 - Sun Life Financial and Securcor announce US$40 million securitization facility with Blue Bridge Financial
- Jan 11, 2016 - Sun Life Financial Welcomes New Chief Investment Officer Randy Brown
- November 22, 2017 – FundFire, A Financial Times Service, Opinion – Private Credit: Opportunities Abound but Diligence Necessary
- Video: “It started with a vision” – learn more about Sun Life Investment Management
- Direct Investment in U.S. Commercial Real Estate
- Answers to questions that are top of mind for institutional investors
- July 31, 2017 - The Globe and Mail, Steve Peacher: 'If you give people an opportunity, people will rise to it'
- National Investment Roundtable
- Positive talk, limited action on pension plan de-risking