Who we are
Sun Life Institutional Investments (Canada) Inc. is a Canadian registered portfolio manager, investment fund manager, exempt market dealer and in Ontario, a commodity trading manager. Sun Life Institutional Investments (Canada) Inc. specializes in managing private asset class pooled funds and liability driven investing strategies for defined benefit pension plans and other institutional investors in Canada through its affiliation with Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada. Headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, Sun Life Institutional Investments (Canada) Inc. has $11 billion in assets under management as of September 30, 2018*.
Our investment teams consist of over 200 people involved in managing approximately $146 billion in assets for the Sun Life Financial group of companies. We have deep experience in public, private and derivatives markets, providing the long-term, predictable cash flows that have enabled Sun Life to meet its obligations to policyholders through the generations while creating value for shareholders.
We operate under a highly developed infrastructure of investment processes and risk controls as demanded by our stakeholders. While we actively manage our investment portfolios, the long-term nature of our liabilities engenders a buy-and-hold approach to investing.
Our mission is to design and deliver investment solutions that help clients achieve their goals by utilizing our long-standing experience in asset-liability management, private asset classes, public fixed income, and derivatives markets.
News & Insights
- October 26, 2018
- ‘ESG Plus’ is the next wave of sustainable investing
- August 21, 2018
- Sun Life Investment Management Welcomes Tom Murphy as Head of Affiliate Development and Business Strategy
- March 28, 2018
- Sun Life Institutional Investments (Canada) Inc. Announces Leadership Succession
- Spring 2017
- Answers to questions that are top of mind for institutional investors
- Spring 2016
- National Investment Roundtable
- Spring 2015
- Positive talk, limited action on pension plan de-risking
- November 2014
- The LDI Roundtable (November Benefits Canada)